Proper Exercise Form to Reduce Injuries This Winter
Now that summer is over and Calgary’s winter is around the corner, how you get your exercise will most likely change from outdoor activities to indoor. Performing common exercises incorrectly can lead to injuries and of course we do not want that to happen to you.
Our physiotherapists and chiropractors are here to help you even when you are not at the clinic. So, we want to guide you through proper exercise form for three common exercises and give you a checklist to follow, so that way you are less likely to injure yourself when performing these.
Checklist for Proper Squat Form
Up first on the roster is the squat. Aim for proper form with your squats and start by focusing on these three things:
- Push your glutes back and lower your body to 90 degrees
- Push up through your heels, not your toes
- Make sure your knees don’t go past your toes
To watch our chiropractor demonstrate proper squat form click here.
Pro Tip: If you struggle with squats practice with a chair behind you.
Checklist for Proper Push-Up Form
To avoid injuring yourself when doing push-ups, keep these four tips in mind:
- Get your upper body in a straight line
- Keep the palms of your hands at chest level
- Gaze at the floor to keep your neck and spine neutral
- Engage your core muscles
To watch our chiropractor demonstrate proper push-up form click here.
Checklist for Proper Plank Form
Try to check these three things off for proper plank form:
- Keep your entire body in a straight line
- Engage your core
- Make sure your hips do not dip
Feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions on proper exercise form to reduce the likelihood of injuries. You can also book your appointment online by clicking here.