Knee injuries are among the most debilitating injuries that one can have. If you have a recent injury or a persistent one, you may experience difficulty with walking, running, or general movement.
Knee injuries are also a common problem for recreational, semi-pro, and professional athletes.
Nearly a quarter of a million anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries occur across North America every year.
Surgery, in most cases, has been viewed as the most viable option to treat knee injuries. However, there are more conservative and non-invasive options which include manual therapy and custom knee bracing.
Even though you have a severe injury like an ACL tear or a simple knee sprain, custom knee braces in Calgary can help you recover.
What Are Knee Braces?
In a nutshell, knee braces are worn as support for an injured or painful knee. Other people might use knee braces to prevent the knee from injuries during strenuous activities or sports.
They can be made from a combination of materials such as metal, plastic, foam, elastic material, and straps. Knee braces come in a variety of colors, sizes, and designs.
A custom knee brace is an appliance that is tailored specifically using your exact measurements and designed with features to solve your specific problem. Custom braces are usually made from materials that are durable, lightweight, and waterproof.
However, different braces are designed to serve different functions. Here are the various categories of knee braces:
- Prophylactic braces. These are designed to prevent injury to your healthy knee. They are also used by athletes to help them participate in high-risk sports to minimize the chances of them sustaining an injury.
- Functional braces. These are used to provide stability to an injured knee and are designed to substitute the damaged ligaments. They are an excellent solution for a torn ACL.
- Rehabilitative braces. These braces are worn after surgery or following an injury to allow a protected range of motion to promote healing.
- Patellofemoral braces. These braces aid the kneecap to move smoothly over your knee joint
Types of Knee Braces
As you already know by now, knee braces come in different sizes and designs. Below are some types of knee braces that you can choose from:
- Knee sleeves that you can slip right over your knee
- Wrap around used by athletes experiencing mild to moderate pain
- Hinged knee braces used after surgery for people who require a higher level of support and protection
- Knee straps are used to help people who have knee pain due to jumper’s knee or runner’s knee
- Closed and open patella braces
When Is Custom Knee Bracing Used?
Different knee problems will need different braces. However, here are the issues which braces can be used to solve:
- Instabilities in the knee
- Ligament injuries (ACL, MCL, PCL, LCL)
- Osteoarthritis of the knee
- Surgical reconstruction of the ACL, among other knee injuries
How Does Custom Knee Bracing Work?
With custom knee bracing, there isn’t a one-size-fits-all treatment. You will get the type of custom knee bracing that is required for your injury.
Regardless of the type, a custom knee brace is designed to allow compression. The compression is what provides support to the muscles and ligaments in the knee. Usually, when you put weight on your knees when using your legs, your knee muscles get strained. This is not a problem for people who have healthy knees.
However, if you have an injury, the repetitive stress on the knees can cause severe pain and limit your movement. Custom knee braces are a useful aid for these issues by reducing the strain on the joints and muscles, as well as improving circulation to promote faster healing.
At Centennial Wellness in downtown Calgary, you can speak to a professional about being fitted for a custom knee brace that is suitable for your specific type of injury in order to ensure you are protected. Call or visit our website to book an appointment and to find out more information.